Thursday, November 5, 2009

Winter? Not So Bad


These terra cotta pots filled with lush, living plants thrive at my mother-in-law's house. I am embarrassed to admit that I do not have a green thumb when it comes to house plants. It's mostly a water issue, I think. I either under-water or over-water. Then there is the matter of fertilizer. Some? None? How much? What kind? Which windows shall I position them in? Southern exposure is too hot; northern exposure is too dark. Alas!

I remember a college roommate who filled an entire bay window with stunning houseplants. They were her babies. She spoke to them and coddled them and I always felt the plants responded. I admired her, but could never emulate her.

Much better for me is any plant grown outdoors. There Mother Nature does the work, and I take in the compliments. Ok, perhaps I am downplaying my involvement. I've experienced sore muscles and exhaustion from hours spent digging, sowing, cutting, raking, and weeding. Man! I get tired thinking about it. Perhaps winter is not so bad after all. I will read the catalogs and review my notes and daydream, daydream, daydream. It's all so much easier on the back! Photo by JulenaJo.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I can relate to this. Our house is so dry in winter and I usually ignore them to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And blog--don't forget blogging. LOL Obviously you haven't. Much easier on the back. Carpel tunnel may set in but... life can't be perfect. I am not a houseplant gal either. My problem is neglect. I just don't care. However, I've brought a few tender-ennials inside and I'm going to try to care. At least my intentions are good.

    ReplyDelete