Sunday, November 21, 2010

Brush to Paper











Writing has taken a back seat to painting lately. I just needed to put brush to paper and not think. Thinking leads to trouble. Between over-thinking and negative self-talk, it's a wonder I ever get out of bed in the morning! But, temporarily, at least, I've duct-taped the mouth of my mind and have been painting. The results are not good, but I am learning from each exercise. Two self-portraits--admittedly somewhat severe--are above, as well as a floral experiment on watercolor canvas and an attempt to paint a tomato (hard) and a pear (fun).

6 comments:

  1. I like your paintings! They have a freshness about them which means you haven't overworked them and "fussed" them to death as I am inclined to do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painting is good for relaxation. indeed, very serious self portraits. The fruit says you are not well Julena. Its like you are angry. Even if you stick a duct tape, you can't stop thinking. We are always in a pool of negative thoughts. We come out of it and live. Waking up and stepping out is a risk we all take every day. Hope you are doing fine Julena. Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kathi. I hope I continue to grow through my paintings.

    Rauf, you are wise indeed. I wonder why the fruit says I am not well? I trust your judgment on this. Thanksgiving is a good time for me to focus on the many blessings in my life, and I will be with family. Many blessings on you, Rauf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your blog on Lona's blog...Hocking Hills. I like that idea of sometimes putting duct tape on the mouth of my mind. :)
    My post is about thinking and not thinking while I'm in the garden. I guess gardening is my duct tape. Enjoyed looking at your paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you mean the results are not good? The results are wonderful. I love your portraits and the flowers. You're exceedingly talented and I'm exceedingly jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Julena. Hope the weather is good and you are in good health to enjoy the holidays. Please stay warm and wear a cap. Santa wears a cap too.

    ReplyDelete