Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bargain Shrub



Because I'm always looking for a steal when I shop for garden plants, sometimes I don't get what I bargained for. The above plant is one such "bargain." I ordered it online from a website I read about last year that offered "free" plants. The site offered several items that I wished to incorporate into my garden, so I took the bait. I had checked out the site to see if it was scam and the only complaints that I could find were that the items were very small. I didn't care about that--after all they were "free." Of course, the shipping and handling were monstrous. Still, I reasoned, I'd be getting a lot of material for my buck.

Much of what I ordered did not "take" in my garden. I sort of figured it was a gamble, so I was disappointed but not overly so. The nanking cherries survived and blossomed this year, so that was good. One of the two echinops ritro survived and looks great. Two New England asters are coming up gangbusters--I guess those are practically foolproof. I found the baby's breath while I was weeding, and it survived winter only to take a serious hit when I inadvertantly whacked it with a hoe. I hope it recovers.

The above plants--there are two, and the heartiest of them is in bloom now--thrived. But what are they? I have absolutely no idea. I ordered American highbush cranberry. I don't think that's what this is. Don't they bloom white and have a different shape of leaf? Whatever this is, it's very attractive, and I'm pleased with it. I just wonder if it will bear fruit and what size it will get to be? Does anyone out there know? If so, enlighten me, please! Mystery Shrub photos by JulenaJo.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julena~~ I can only see one plant in the two photos. I have it and wrote a post on it a few weeks ago. It's bush honeysuckle, Lonicera tatarica 'Arnold Red' one of my favorite shrubs. Its main blooming period is now but if coddled a bit will continue with intermittent blossoms throughout the summer. If not deadheaded, it will form bright red berries that totally clash with the cerise-red of the blossoms... but oh well. Although it's a honeysuckle it's definitely a shrub, not a vine as I'm sure you're aware of by now.

    I know of some awesome mail-order nurseries if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete