Thursday, April 30, 2009

Oh, Happy May!




Happy May Day!

Let me share one of the most wonderful and miraculous things about spring: new life.

This little fellow was born a bit over a week ago on a Sunday evening at the farm where my daughter works and boards her horse. We were responsible for watching over mama over that weekend as the owners had to be out of town for a family wedding. Mama was one restless and uncomfortable gal. We were so nervous for her!

I think she waited for her people to get home, though, because they weren't there very long on Sunday night before little "Jeff" made his appearance. We received a phone call, and my daughter and I were there within half an hour of his birth. We stayed for about two hours. I could not tear myself away before he learned two things: legs and milk.

Never have I seen anything so miraculous before, nor so incredibly cute. He staggered around the barn on rubbery legs, completely unable to control where he went. After the first half hour or so, he began to suck whenever his muzzle encountered Mama, nuzzling her belly, legs, and flanks. It was blindly, instinctively, knowing there was something wonderful near, but not quite knowing how to attain it. Mama watched proudly and protectively. She didn't seem to mind if he stumbled near a human, but let him get too close to another horse (even though they were all locked in their stalls and could only watch through barred openings) and the surprised onlooker was given a show of heels. Finally, he found nourishment, and at that moment everyone breathed a sigh of relief--even mama, I think! And I felt silly, but there were tears of joy in my eyes.

That was then. Now, of course, he has complete mastery of his knobby-kneed legs. He bucks and twists and cavorts just for the thrill of it. "Look at me!" "Watch this!" "See what I can do!" Then he prances over to gaze at visitors, and his shy, innocent eyes are fringed with the most incredibly long eyelashes. It takes my breath away just to look at him.

Oh, Happy May!

"Jeff" photos by Gourdo.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful colt. His mama know how to have pretty ones! How fun and you are so right, what an amazing event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second photo... freezing such movement is amazing... elegant indeed!! ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had so many foals over the years with our herd of minis, but every time its as you described, such a joy and a wonder! You just cant tear your eyes away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Julena for this post and great images!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, isn't he a beauty! I just do not know how they can get those spindly legs to going so soon. It is a marvel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really captured these precious moments...Jeff is beautiful, l love how his markings are almost identical to mom. A cool experience for your daughter to witness and thanks for sharing it with us, Julena :)

    ReplyDelete