Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!


The vintage postcard reminds me of our little Roxy. Isn't it cute?


Our family, which gathered together for Christmas, is scattering for New Years with everyone going separate ways. Gourdo and I may go out to dinner, but we will be home early and will undoubtedly spend a quiet evening at home.


I may page through some English Garden magazines, dreaming about what to plant in the 2010 garden. I am keeping in mind the fact that I had several plants that looked as though they may not make it through winter. I may have gaps to fill.


There are flowers I will not do without: nasturtiums and sunflowers for their bold color and cheerful countenance; and allyssum for its honey fragrance. Roses will figure prominently, of course. The flower plantings are whimsy with me--I just plant what I like where I want to see it. However, in 2010 I want to think beyond the bounds of my flower bed and consider the whole of my yard as garden. Ultimately I wish to create a yard that shelters and frames our home. I want to enhance the view both ways: when looking at the house from the road, as well as when looking out at the vista from our home. I think January will be a month of perusing books and magazines, then sitting down with a graph-paper sketch of our yard, penciling in ideas that might create the look I want here.


We started with five flat, empty acres. There are a few limits: zone, wind, clay. But within those few constraints there is a great deal of freedom. I'm looking forward to the garden of 2010!


Happy New Year!




3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you, JulenaJo!! May this coming year be the best ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julena~~ I know what you mean about looking at the garden as a whole rather than just what plants you want to use. Both strategies are important, I think but a few years ago I decided to stop ignoring the "dead zones" I call them and capitalize on all of the little neglected nuances. Oddly enough, I've found that my garden is actually easier to maintain now. I'm looking forward to seeing your creative juices at work. Spring can't come soon enough! Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it lovely to plan and dream about next year's garden? Yes, roses are a must!

    ReplyDelete