Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thank you, Sunflower!



"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." Helen Keller.

The above quote by Helen Keller seems perfectly suited to both my frame of mind as well as the sunflowers harvested recently from my new cutting garden. I planted a variety of them and they are beginning to bloom now, just in time for the busy month of August at the Farmer's Market.

Colorful zinnias, snapdragons, and cosmos are also coming into bloom. All of these flowers can be directly sown into the garden in early spring, are not bothered by insects, and produce reliably even when the weather is less than cooperative, making them an ideal choice for growing in a cutting garden. And who can resist the charm of a bouquet that includes sunflowers? Not me!

Sunflowers appeal to me on many levels. Their cheerful, open faces delight--no mysteries or secrets are hidden there. Bees and birds feast on them. And their habit of following the sun intrigues me. That is why the inspirational quote by Helen Keller springs to mind as I admire my garden of sunflowers.

As I cut the sunflowers for my bouquet I was reminded to keep my face turned to the sunshine. I needed a gentle reminder of this lesson today, and isn't it serendipitous how a few minutes in the garden provided it? Thank you, Sunflower! Sunflower photos by JulenaJo.

2 comments:

  1. Hi JulenaJo~~ What a beautiful thought for the day. Helen Keller was ahead of her time, wasn't she? Your sunflowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I love that deep rust shade of sunflower! Nothing more beautiful, I think, than a field of these smiling faces ;)
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete