Saturday, October 18, 2008

Garden Fanfare


"Fanfare" is the name of this blanket flower. Appropriate, don't you think? The tubular petals look like little golden trumpets, and they continue to feed butterflies and honeybees late in the season, so they are a welcome addition to the summer and autumn garden. The spiky center of the flower turns to a puffball of downy seed after the flowers are spent, and although they are not supposed to reproduce true from seed, the seedlings I've seen have been much like their parent.
I've spent the past few days planting bulbs of Dutch Master daffodil, Purple Sensation allium, and purple-blue muscari that I picked up at Kmart. Every year I want to plant bulbs, and this year I finally did so. I'm already looking forward to seeing them come spring. I don't really have a plan for my garden. I just want to see some color at the end of a long, dreary winter--and the sooner the better. I suppose there are earlier blooming spring flowers that I could order from a catalog, but who can decide what to order when everything is so beautifully described? I'll settle for what turns up at the discount stores. 'Fanfare' photo by JulenaJo.

12 comments:

  1. very nice! hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. im here because of few cents for you. just dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when will you go online?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, very special, i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    I was just blogging by when I happened upon the picture of your Fanfare blanket flower. I have never seen one of those before.
    Mind you I am not a gardener so I really don't know flowers at all.
    It is very cool looking!
    I hope you don't mind that I stopped by. I enjoyed your blog very much and I will be sure to visit again soon.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Lois
    PS. I don't blame you for being nervous about the coyote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. when will you go online?

    ReplyDelete
  7. when will you go online?

    ReplyDelete
  8. its good to know about it? where did you get that information?

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, very special, i like it.

    ReplyDelete